Today, at the suggestion of the strange hostel man and against my better judgement, I went to several different temp agencies in search of work. Surprisingly, they all seem sure they can find me work within the next week, even the one that interviwed me on the spot when I'd really just come in to make an appointment.
It was an extremely patronising interview, the sort where an 18 year old asks you very clearly and slowly 'Please describe an occasion in the past in which you have displayed INITIATIVE'. Despite previously resolving never to bring it up in a job interview again, I ended up retelling the story about when I was 17 and working in a bakery, and somehow managed to lose a huge custom-decorated cake when the customer came to collect it. It is my standard response to any question I'm unprepared for. My version of the story is subtly different from what actually happened, in that someone else loses the cake and I end up heroically dashing down the street to hand-deliver it to the distraught, formerly cakeless customer. I really should update my interview strategy. Despite this, I'm now hopeful I will find work soon.
Oct 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment